Thursday, November 17, 2011

Airing a Few Grievances

1.  You do not WALK in lane one.  What is wrong with you people? Yes, you moved after I passed you a couple of times, but if I see you there again, I will punch the back of your head (just kidding, thought police: I have never, nor will I ever, punch someone in the head because they're in my way).
2. Allow me a minute of your time to discuss . . . winter sports.  What.  The.  Heck.  Snow and ice are really slippery.  This is a good reason to AVOID them.  Not a good reason to put smooth boards or blades on your feet and hang out on them in arctic temperatures.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!  Furthermore, all of the clothing that one wears in order to participate in winter sports (or, let's be honest, to participate in winter in general) is so big and bulky and ridiculous.  A life in which you're happier wearing a sleeping bag with arms than you are not wearing one . . . well that's no life at all.  Although I was gifted some pretty snazzy ski pants today, so maybe it's not all bad.
3.  Wind chill.  It's already in the single digits, Alaska.  No need to blow double digit winds.  It's overkill.
4.  Hey Anchorage?  Are you listening?  Spreading gravel all over the roads is not as effective as salting them.  I'm sorry, but it's just not.  No one can tell where the lanes are.  I have to walk across an ice-rink-equivalent to get from my office to my car.  I've forgotten what asphalt looks like.

OK.  I feel better.  And to make amends with my current home, allow me to show that Alaska is indeed still magnificent in the winter.


3 comments:

  1. salting roads is bad for the environment.

    love eds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe she actually means NaCl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that this post was tagged with "raging", as if to suggest that there will be more such tagged posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete