Saturday, November 26, 2011

Listening to the Radio in Anchorage

This blog is getting kind of lame, so I'm going to talk about something cool today: namely, what it is like to be me and listen to the radio in my car while driving around Anchorage.

First of all, Anchorage LOVES the 90's.  I have heard Gangsta's Paradise so many times that I'm almost singing the real lyrics instead of the Weird Al lyrics when I hear it.  Also: Salt 'N Pepa.  OK that's the late 80's, but whatever.

So about Salt N' Pepa: they're awesome.  BUT, just as an fyi . . . if you have to roll down your window to scan into your work parking lot, and you park near your boss, I would HIGHLY recommend turning down the volume if you're listening to Push It on the way to work.  Just a suggestion.  To myself.

Back in my U of C days, one of my BFFs and I would cruise Hyde Park, scamming for dudes, eating french fries, and listening to tunes.  On one such occasion, the smash hit by Lipps, Inc., Funktown, came on the radio.  We spent the next four minutes realizing that we lived in the funkiest town of all: Hyde Park!  Look at all those haggard students and bewildered nerds in puffy coats (it was winter).  Gotta make a move to a town that's right for meeeee.

Fast forward to winter in Anchorage.  Anchorage loves this new song I'm Sexy and I Know It (I'm not 100% sure this song is new.  It might be from the mid-90s).  Listening to this song while driving around town reminds me so much of the Lipps, Inc. incident.  I love cruising the snowy streets, imagining that everybody's stopping "and staring at me," just like they're all staring at the guy in the song.  No one can deny it: I'm rockin' my sleeping bag coat, Uggs, and mittens.  If Anchorage winter-wear isn't sexy, then what is?

So keep up the good work, Anchorage radio.  Although maybe stop playing so much Phil Collins.  He kind of freaks me out.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sexy and I know it is new. Ish. Also that music video is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funkytown moment was incredible. I miss Aing the F and patrolin' with you.

    ReplyDelete