Sunday, September 18, 2011

Wolverine

I'm dying, guys.  It was a good weekend, but it might have been my last.

Friday night started out nicely with an excellently catered dinner party (sushi, skewers, wine).  But then . . . wait for it . . .  the Anchorage outdoor bar.  My first thought upon walking into the bar was "this reminds me of Houston!"  So naive.  This bar was a lot like one you'd find in Houston, except Houston would never be 44 degrees in mid-September.  Never!  I'd been drinking, so I didn't realize how cold I was until I got into bed that evening, tried to sleep, and then realized that hypothermia was setting in.  My mental functioning was slowed.  My muscles weren't working.  So I stumbled into the hall to turn up the heat, stumbled back into my room to layer on as much clothing as possible, and then stumbled into bed.  I was in for quite a shock the next morning when I woke up drenched in sweat and wearing two of everything.

On Saturday morning I went for a longish run on the coastal trail, which was great.  I'm including some pictures of the trail here, since I talk about it a lot but never managed to get pictures until a few days ago.




I spent the rest of Saturday running errands, tidying, and napping.  I was supposed to go on a pirate pub crawl that evening, but I wussed out.

Sunday (today) was hike day.  11 miles.  3500ft of elevation gain.  Ruins from a plane crash.  Fog.  Sheep.  Typical Alaskan beauty.  Me complaining a lot.  You know, the usual.  I'd kind of like a day off tomorrow to recover, but alas.  The plus side: our landlord found out where we'd hiked and was totally impressed, so maybe doing Wolverine Peak gives me some Alaskan street cred.  As the pictures below show, it was quite beautiful, and my co-hikers were a delight, as always (I wish I could say the same for myself).  I bet my kvetching kept away the bears.




2 comments:

  1. Who the hell thought an outdoor bar in ALASKA would be a good idea?! Like, I feel like this was a major oversight on someone's part. Who thought "hey, screw the heat. Let's go drink on the tundra!"?? Wtf! In any case, I am quite literally glad you are not dying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I thought this was going to be about Hugh Jackman.

    ReplyDelete