Sunday, August 28, 2011

Anchorage




Well.  I'm here.  I've been a bit manic today: one minute I'm so excited, and in disbelief at how new and different and beautiful it is here, and the next minute I'm panicking about how cold it is already, how unfamiliar everything seems, and how crazy it is that this is actually happening.

The lows: it is cold.  Already.  It's already fall here, and I wish I had my warmer clothes.  Food is almost as expensive here as it was in NYC.  I worry that I will be lonely here this year.  I worry that I won't be good at my job.  I worry that it will be hard for me to keep in touch with the people I love.  I worry that I'll get sick of being outdoorsy and that I'll want to spend all winter watching TV and eating M&Ms.  It's 4hrs later in NYC and DC, and 3hrs later in Houston, making me feel cut off from the rest of the world.

The highs: it's beautiful.  After almost a week of towns with only a couple hundred people, Anchorage seems huge, yet it's surrounded by mountains and ocean (or inlet).  Decent Mexican food for dinner.  Met (and liked!) my future roommates at a fun bar with good beer.  I live in a cute house, in a cute neighborhood, within walking distance of work.

It seems, re-reading those lists, that my lows are mostly worries, whereas my highs are real things.  Good sign?

3 comments:

  1. I think you're right: the lows are mere worries and the highs are concrete realities. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled upon your blog on Facebook. It's so great! I share all your misgivings and concerns but we'll work together on getting through! Most excited to see you in a week and work with you for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my Katherine. I love you! Thanks for making it easier for me to stalk your blog.

    ReplyDelete