Saturday, September 1, 2012

Final Weeks: Seward, Swamp, State Fair

I've been putting off this post because, well, I don't want to acknowledge in writing that the year is over.  But it is.  Alaska: it was my honor and privilege to live here for a year.  Thank you.


One of my roommates had two friends in town, and we all went down to Seward for a day trip.  This was at a stop along the way.


Seward.


The harbor in Seward.


Exit Glacier.  While in Seward we also went to the Alaska SeaLife Center, which I loved.  I think aquariums are cool in general, and this was an aquarium plus aviary plus baby-walrus-refuge.  I loved seeing the walrus, and I didn't get flesh-eating bacteria after a bird splashed some dirty bird-water in my eye, so the trip was a great success!


Salmon!


So I called it a swamp in the title because I wanted to alliterate, but it's actually a marsh.  I had passed this marsh and its boardwalk so many times this year, but I finally stopped to check it out and saw salmon and this lovely view.

Last but not least, The Alaska State Fair:


Huge cabbage and cucumber.  (Where the heck are the huge gourds?!)


Terrifying vegetable lady.


I know it's blurry, but I really like this picture of a pig.  I think it captures the pig's essence.  "Hello there!" says the pig.


The lumberjack competition!  First up: log sawing!


Pole climbing start.


Pole climbing again.  Look at those manly men climb those logs.


Log rolling.  You can see the remnants of the ax-throwing portion of the competition in the background.  You can also see a minivan, the preferred vehicle of lumberjacks everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katherine, It's your mom. Alaska only gets you for one year. They specifically requested that I encourage you to leave. They are used to large feisty things, but not small feisty things. I love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete